Tuesday - Saturday: 10am-5pm
Community Night Wednesdays: 5-8pm
Sunday: Noon-5pm (4-5pm free admission)
Baby Bloomer Mondays: 9am-Noon
Cub Club Saturdays: 9-10am
Baby Bloomers and Cub Club are special programs for children under 3yrs ONLY.
Admission is $2 for Members, $4 for non-members per person.
Visit our Programs page for more details.
The Museum is closed on the following holidays:
|New Year's Day
Museum hours occasionally change due to special events. Check the Calendar or call us at 472-2499 x201 to confirm hours.
back to top
Children 2 yrs.and up: $6.50
Children 12-23 months: $4.50
Children under 12 months: FREE
*All children must be accompanied by an adult age 18 or older.
Discover year-round family fun with ACM Membership - starting at $75 for 4 persons.
Community Night Wednesdays, 5-8 pm, admission is by donation (suggested $1).
The Museum is FREE to the public every Sunday 4-5pm and anytime upon request through our Open Door Policy.
School Tours are also available year-round. Learn more.
We accept cash, check, Visa, Mastercard, and American Express.
back to top
Tips for Your Visit
- If you prefer to visit the Museum when it's less crowded we suggest afternoon visits and No Tour Tuesdays. The first Tuesday of every month (No Tour Tuesdays) is reserved for family visitors. ACM does not book school or group visits on the first Tuesday of every month. This limits the number of visitors in each gallery and provides a special time when children and their accompanying adults can learn as a family. You may also call the Museum before your visit to inquire about a specific day, we can provide general information about Museum activity and School Visit bookings.
- The Museum has one small area where we allow snacks and drinks. We recommend that you consider your mealtimes when you plan your visit. There are many restaurants and cafes in the 2nd Street District. The Museum staff can direct you to family and kid friendly eateries.
- Unfortunately the Museum does not have lockers or areas to store personal belongs. Please plan accordingly.
- The Museum is wheelchair accessible at the main entrance (2nd & Colorado). Elevator access is available on both floors. In addition, a teletouch phone (TTY) is available for visitors and staff.
- The Museum has a Family bathroom for our visitors' convenience, in addition to Men's and Women's bathrooms.
- Please change your baby’s diaper in the changing stations located inside the Museum bathrooms.
- All children must be accompanied by an adult age 18 or older at all times.
Flu Season Information
- The Museum’s exhibits and galleries are routinely cleaned. You may see staff cleaning portions of the Museum during your visit. Please excuse us as we make our space clean and safe for everyone.
- If you or your child have the flu or symptoms of the flu, please stay home and enjoy the Museum another day!
- For your convenience, hand sanitizer dispensers are located at the Museum’s entrance, in the Rising Star Ranch exhibit and in the hallway by the bathrooms.
- For more information from the CDC on how to prevent the flu visit: http://www.flu.gov/
back to top
Directions, Parking & Bus Routes
The Museum is located at 201 Colorado Street in downtown Austin -- one block west of Congress Avenue, and one block north of Town Lake.
From MoPac (Loop 1): Take the Cesar Chavez - 5th Streets exit. Follow the signs for Cesar Chavez St (aka 1st Street) and head eastbound, towards downtown. Turn left onto Congress Avenue, and left again onto 2nd Street. The Museum is the green building on the northeast corner of the next intersection (2nd and Colorado).
From Interstate 35 (IH-35): Take the Cesar Chavez St (1st Street) exit and head westbound, towards downtown. Turn right onto Brazos Street, and then left onto 2nd Street. You will cross Congress Avenue; the Museum is one block further on your right (2nd & Colorado).
NOTE - At times construction or events require the closing of a section of a downtown street. For the latest information on downtown area road closures click here (Downtown Austin Alliance).
The Austin Children's Museum does NOT own or control parking downtown, therefore we have partnered with the AMLI and City of Austin to provide various parking options to our guests. They are as follows:
- Thanks to the generosity of AMLI and Standard Parking, Museum visitors can park and pay a discounted rate of $3 for museum members and $4 for non-members at the AMLI Downtown garage off Lavaca Street, between 2nd & 3rd Streets or the AMLI on 2nd garage off San Antonio Street, between 2nd & 3rd Streets. AMLI discounted parking is available Monday thru Friday, 10am-5pm on a space available basis. Bring your parking stub to the Museum office for validation. Note - parking at the AMLI is on a space available basis.
- Visitors to the Museum may pay to park in area lots, or use city-metered street parking. On Sunday, city meters are free. The City of Austin has pay stations that take credit and debit cards as well as coins. Handicapped guests may park in any available city meter - meter parking is free with your handicapped tag.
There are many Capital Metro bus routes that drop just blocks away from the Museum. Check routes: #1L, #1M, #3, #5, #7, #9, #10, #17, #20, #29, #30, #101, #110, #127, #142, #171, #935, #984, #987. Visit www.capmetro.org for route schedules, fares and details.
back to top